Farmers Insurance Careers
Claims Coverage Attorney
Requisition ID: 180005HS
- The Claims Coverage Attorney is responsible for providing ethical, objective and timely legal advice to Claims clients in all Lines of Business (LOB) on coverage matters nationwide.
- Handles coverage matters of moderate to high complexity and/or financial consequence. Provides legal support to Suits Against the Exchanges (SAE).
- Develops networks and relationships with LOBs across the organization and works with Claims management to provide expert legal advice on risk exposure, policy interpretation, claims strategy, and claims handling protocols.
- Renders advice to, and consults with, non-Claims departments including Underwriting, Compliance, Corporate Legal, and Customer Relations.
- Participates and provides support and legal assistance for the policy drafting committees regarding new policies, endorsements and modifications.
- Works with Farmers University and the LOBs to develop and deliver training and presentations.
- Participates in roundtable meetings with Claims management and team members.
- Experience in third-party coverage, specifically in personal lines Auto and/or Homeowners, is preferred.
- Analyze complex insurance contracts in all policy forms, including but not limited to CGL, BOP, BAP, CAP, D&O, Property, Workers’ Compensation, Professional E&O, Inland Marine, Truckers, Umbrella and all Personal Lines policies.
- Conduct extensive and detailed research on how the laws of all fifty states affect the construction and interpretation of those policies.
- Apply policy terms to non-routine, complex claims that can involve multiple parties, multi-million dollar exposures, novel issues and ambiguous or non-existent legal precedent.
- Identify and protect against claims of bad faith with the potential to expose the company to multi-million dollar extra-contractual and punitive damage awards.
- Provide comprehensive written opinions and strategic guidance to business leaders and senior executives.
- Collaborates with and conducts peer reviews of colleagues work products to ensure quality and consistency.
- Work with senior management to address customer complaints.
- Partner with the LOBs to develop litigation strategy.
- Attend and participate in roundtable meetings with Claims executives on matters involving high complexity and/or financial exposure.
- Develop relationships and network with clients and business partners.
- Collaborate with, and monitor the work of, outside counsel to ensure quality and consistency.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of four years (eight years preferred) as an attorney handling matters involving insurance policies, coverage disputes and litigation.
- Excellent written, oral and presentation communications skills.
- Highly collaborative working style with demonstrated commitments to meeting individual and team goals.
- Strong customer service skills, the ability to collaborate with internal clients and panel counsel to identify and implement solutions to complex business and legal challenges.
- Required job duties are essentially sedentary work consisting of occasional walking, standing and lifting and/or carrying 25 lbs. maximum, bending, talking, hearing, driving, seeing, speaking and traveling.
Job Posting: 08/02/2018