We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world. Start your career at Farmers today!
Challenge. Technology. Leadership. You’ll find it all at Farmers Insurance. With global resources, a trial rich environment, and industry-leading technology, we offer experienced attorneys with leadership skills a unique opportunity to mentor and lead a team of litigation professionals in the true practice of law. At Farmers, we employ over 500 attorneys so our legal practice and resources are equal to that of America’s largest firms offering you and your staff a challenging and rewarding trial-focused culture.
We seek a qualified candidate to serve as a Supervising Attorney in our 15-attorney Oakland office and Santa Rosa satellite. Located in Oakland’s downtown City Center, we seek highly motivated candidates who approach leadership as an impact player and self-starting achiever who can set the pace and bring energy and urgency to inspiring superior results. The position requires leadership skills combined with a first chair jury trial track record and ability to handle matters with significant complexity and/or exposure levels. The ideal candidates possesses at least 10 years of litigation practice. Background should include insurance or personal injury defense, with landlord-tenant experience a plus. Responsible for providing assistance to the Managing Attorney in the supervision of other attorneys in the office, ensuring quality value added file handling, promoting our trial culture, and performing other delegated administrative duties. Must be a good and consistent communicator who can listen, coach, seek out, and provide feedback and utilize straight-talk when appropriate. A JD and current good standing with the California State Bar required. Hartsuyker, Stratman & Williams-Abrego are staff counsel for Farmers Insurance Exchange & affiliates.
We offer highly competitive compensation and benefits including a 401k (with company match), performance-based incentives, company car or car stipend, and freedom from a billable-hour and rainmaking environment.
Essential Job Functions
- Makes all case assignments to attorneys supervised assuring exposure level and/or complexity of cases matches skill and expertise levels of attorneys.
- Trains attorneys and others as needed to improve their level of expertise.
- Performs managerial and administrative tasks, and special assignments, as assigned by Managing Attorney.
- Informs managing attorney of any and all case activity problems encountered.
- Supervises maintenance of computerized litigation support systems.
- Prepares and submits reports as required by the managing attorney.
- Consults with and renders opinions to the Claims Department regarding insurance policy questions and questions concerning the legal aspects of the handling of personal injury claims.
- Supervises cases as assigned and handles those of greatest complexity and/or exposure, including preparation of pleadings, motions, discovery, and briefs, attendance at hearings, conferences, interviews, and trials or arbitrations, and performance of any other tasks or duties necessary for the proper representation of clients.
- Functionally supervises attorneys who have been requested to assist Supervising Attorney in the handling of particular cases.
- Performs other functions as assigned.
Besides sedentary work, job duties require some or all of the following physical activities: Carrying and lifting up to 25 pounds, hearing, seeing, standing and walking (including up and down stairs and steps).
Required job duties are normally performed in a climate-controlled office environment, with some exposure to uncontrolled outside environmental conditions and travel via automobile and/or commercial transportation.
Four-year college degree, law school degree, and member in good standing of the State Bar in the state in which position is located.
At least two years as a Senior Trial Attorney, or comparable outside experience and capable of handling cases of greatest exposure and/or complexity with minimum supervision. Must have some management experience or demonstrated management aptitude.
Special Skill Requirement
Public speaking, ability to function in adversarial or confrontational situations, driving.
Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.