- Accepts, modifies or rejects risks based on a review of business in terms of loss experience, inspection reports, file information, web resources, policyholder tenure, related policies, and nature of risk in accordance with company guidelines, standards and compliance with state laws.
- Provides documentation for any exceptions to established guidelines and critical account information relating to the final underwriting decision.
- Verifies coverage eligibility. Interprets policy contract language/forms and uses approved classification systems, rating plans and selection standards to determine eligibility, desirability and proper classification/pricing.
- Effectively communicates decisions and resolves agent/customer concerns promptly.
- Provides technical assistance to internal and external customers regarding coverage interpretations, policy and endorsement provisions, and underwriting acceptability for commercial property/casualty and workers compensation coverage's.
- Develops collaborative working relationships with assigned agents providing customer service that meets or exceeds service level standards.
- Includes effective communication through phone calls and email to gather and analyze necessary information critical to the underwriting process and occasional field visits, to create new business opportunities and improve policy renewal retention.
- At direction of the Team Manager, Evaluates unprofitable books of business, agents or districts. Assists in developing plans to improve profitability.
- Informs team Manager of weakness in coverage and/or products that are adversely impacting growth potential. Gathers pertinent competitive information to assist in developing recommendations to product development.
- Provides support in a mentoring role to other team members within the commercial department, providing underwriting philosophy, guidance and training on transactions that exceed team member authority levels.
- Assists in educating agencies on products, services, automation, and underwriting standards as well as sales and cross selling techniques to promote accomplishment of our corporate goals.
- Maintains underwriting quality standards May be required to work outside of core business hours depending on business needs Performs other duties as assigned.
- One to four years insurance industry related experience in personal lines policy service/support, personal lines underwriting or policy service/support, Claims or agency sales/service position or, One to two years of commercial underwriting experience
- Knowledge of management information and business systems (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Must be detail oriented and accurate; demonstrate organizational skills and flexibility; ability to perform general mathematical calculations; ability to work in a fast paced environment be team oriented and have a consistent commitment to excellence.
- Analytical thinking skills to make timely, appropriate decisions and recommendations after reviewing all relevant information.
- Technical expertise in commercial risk selection and pricing. Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated presentation skills.
- Ability to successfully interact with the agency force to grow business while at the same time maintaining underwriting discipline.
- Ability to read and interpret policy contract language.
- Working broad-based knowledge of relevant insurance laws and statutes; the contract issue process, computer systems, competitors products and marketing practices.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job.
- They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all functions, physical demands and skills required of personnel so classified.
Job Posting: 09/04/2019