Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world.
The Technical Assurance Engineer will be responsible for translating business and technical requirements into design artifacts that guide the development and implementation of large scale IT solutions, while adhering to established design patterns and guiding principles defined by the Enterprise Architecture team.
The ideal candidate will provide technical oversight to strategic projects, and will have the ability to effectively lead multiple initiatives concurrently, while also providing direction to ensure the stability and scalability of existing systems. They will review current production systems, re-assessing designs to ensure they are still adequate and appropriate for our business. They will also directly assist in the technical troubleshooting of difficult issues as they pertain to infrastructure and will provide guidance and recommendations to our Incident Management and production support teams. They will collaborate with other Farmers IT teams to help bring innovation to, or simplify our systems, as new technologies emerge.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the organization's technologies and architectures
- Review runbooks with regard to infrastructure, ensuring completeness and accuracy
- Assist with the review/redesign or refresh of existing solutions, systems and configurations to ensure they still meet business needs, providing recommendations and driving the correction of deficiencies
- Continually review emerging technologies and assess whether they are appropriate for our environment with emphasis on reducing complexity, creating cost savings or value-creation opportunities, and share findings with Architects and Cloud Engineers
- Assist with incident (on-call rotation) and project implementation calls, providing advanced level 3 subject matter expertise, with regard to infrastructure (Linux or Window OS, Virtualization or Backup and Storage)
- Manage technical relationships with vendors and work closely with them to escalate and resolve complex issues
- Assist with successful delivery, implementation and integration of infrastructure for new projects. Ensuring that necessary runbooks, HA, DR, backup and purge strategies are in place and systems are correctly configured.
- Assist Cloud Engineers with migration or replacement of existing systems to the cloud where appropriate
- Attend architecture review meetings as required to ensure infrastructure operations needs are met
- Assist with the review RFS's and SOW's for completeness and accuracy regarding infrastructure
- Assist Supplier Relationship and Performance Management, with technical reviews and interpretation of complex SLA and capacity reports
- Assist with the review of infrastructure upgrade or change management plans, including those from vendors, to ensure completeness and minimize risk
- Assist with RCA investigations and recommendations and implementation of fixes to reduce possibility of recurrence
- Assist with capacity planning reviews and provide technical guidance as required/requested
- Contribute to business continuity and disaster recovery (DR) testing to ensure it is completed successfully and that any required adjustments or deficiencies identified are corrected and implemented
- Assist monitoring teams as required with instrumentation into new or existing systems
- BS/BA Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related degree, or an equivalent combination of experience and relevant professional certifications.
- Certifications in one or more of Linux, AIX (or any other UNIX systems), MSCE, EMC or other Storage
- VMware certifications considered a plus
- Any Cloud certifications a plus
- Some knowledge of system automation strategies (Autosys, AnsibleTower, Kubernetes, RedHat OpenShift)
- Strong knowledge of infrastructure technologies, networking and cloud-based services
- Experience with high availability and disaster recovery implementation and execution with both on-prem and cloud solutions.
- Strong knowledge of either UNIX or Windows OS
- Strong knowledge of storage and backup solutions
- Strong knowledge of one or more cloud based services
- Strong troubleshooting abilities, ability to quickly review logs, decipher scripts etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate with a wide variety of audiences, both business and technical as well as executive.
- Ability to analyze information and use logic and process to address work-related issues and problems.
- Ability to be an active participant during large technology conversations.
- Ability to communicate effectively and provide recommendations on calls during outages that have other members of IT and leadership present.
- Ability to manage multiple vendors to ensure that they deliver what is expected.
- Ability to function effectively under pressure and stick to deadline oriented project demands
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Ability to think critically and work independently to meet objectives.
- 5+ yrs Linux/AIX/SUN or Windows system administration experience
- 5+ yrs experience with backup software and methodologies
- 5+ yrs of enterprise IT tools and enterprise IT team experience
- 5+ yrs of system documentation experience
- 5+ yrs scripting (bash, shell, or perl)
- 5+ yrs experience creating and reviewing technical documentation
- 2+ years working in virtual environments including VMware ESX (considered a +)
- 2+ years of experience troubleshooting with monitoring tools such as App Dynamics, Dynatrace, Splunk, Wireshark, Solar winds etc.
- 2+ years of experience troubleshooting database issues, initial diagnostics (Amazon Aurora, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle Database, and SQL Server)
- Experience using Zerto replication for HA or DR for virtualized systems (considered a +)
- Strong working knowledge of ITIL process
- Knowledge and experience of Incident and Change Management (ServiceNow a plus)
- Demonstrated server/hardware experience with IBM and CISCO products
- Demonstrated server/hardware experience with Linux on Intel platforms
- Demonstrated experience with tools for troubleshooting issues (WireShark, traceroute, ip/ifconfig, DNS etc)
- Experience supporting storage configurations for NAS and SAN, EMC VMAX, Isilon, ECS, DataDomain and xTremIO preferred
Required job duties consists of walking, standing, lifting, moving, and/or carrying up to 50 lbs. of equipment.
Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.
Job Posting: 11/09/2019