Actively pursues a reduction of federal and state taxes for the Farmers Insurance Group of Companies through tax research and planning activities, monitoring federal, state, and local tax law changes, reviewing proposed business transactions, actively support the Company’s efforts to affect legislative changes in the federal and state tax codes, and developing creative problem solving techniques to reduce federal, state, and local taxes. Actively participates in the favorable settlement of federal, state, and local audits and prepares management reports reflecting any potential audit exposure. Independently prepares federal and state income tax returns and quarterly installments. Analyzes, evaluates, and researches federal and state tax legislations and tax laws. Updates and analyze tax provision and tax return packages using tax software and other applications.
- Reviews the corporate structures operating procedures, business practices and subsidiary/parent relationships from a tax perspective and if appropriate, informs senior management of any tax planning opportunities and with the necessary approvals, initiates those essential actions to realize the tax planning opportunity.
- Reviews the federal, state, and local tax implications on special projects relevant to Farmers' long range planning, budgeting, and financial reporting.
- Researches and analyzes federal, state and local tax codes, regulations, rulings, and court decisions, and communicates these to Tax Administration Management.
- Responds to requests for documentation and support from outside auditors and ensure that the requests are handled timely, contain accurate and complete responses, and that the information is submitted and presented in a favorable manner.
- Assists in the forceful presentation of Farmers' position in situations where the federal, state or local tax auditors take opposing positions from the Company; and assists in developing tax position papers and arguing the issue in the tax appeal process.
- Prepares federal and state income tax return and/or tax provision computations using computerized tax programs.
- Responds to the various federal, state, and local tax queries as they arise.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Three years of tax experience or four years in accounting operations and demonstrated knowledge of both tax research techniques and the tax filing process.
Required job duties are essentially sedentary work consisting of occasional walking, standing and lifting and/or carrying 20 lbs. maximum, seeing, speaking, hearing.
Required job duties are normally performed in a climate-controlled office environment.
Job Posting: 01/14/2020