Want to learn more about our culture & opportunities? Check out farmers.com/careers and be sure to follow us on Instagram and LinkedIn!
Responsibilities include creating, maintaining, updating predictive models that assist in determining claims volume projections for catastrophic and other weather related events. Other responsibilities may include geo-spatial projects, data analysis and implementing efficiency gains.
- Extract information from multiple company databases that will be used for executing catastrophe models.
- Utilize intermediate/advanced SAS/SQL/Excel skills to efficiently manipulate data. This includes working independently with large complex data sets, verifying the quality of input data/resolving anomalies, understanding and explaining data quality issues prior to running the modeling software.
- Import data, run analyses and generate outputs from predictive modeling software.
- Work with IT to implement software upgrades.
- Initiate and implement the changes in current data extraction and catastrophe modeling processes that will enhance the quality of the modeling data.
- Prepare documentation of data extraction and modeling processes.
- Analyze and report catastrophe modeling results on both gross and net basis, identify potential biases in models' outputs and develop necessary adjustments to mitigate them, draw conclusions and make recommendations for advanced level analyses/special projects.
- Find creative solutions to new assignments and present findings.
- Work independently to assess conceptual soundness of model results and make decisions for project assignments as necessary (e.g. establish benchmarks, develop metrics and make recommendations for improvement to monitor catastrophe exposures).
- Interact directly with internal (business units) and external (rating agency questionnaires, regulator inquiries) customers.
- Present work product to internal customers in a clear, concise fashion with minimal need for guidance or supervision.
- Challenge and advise stakeholders as appropriate.
- Establish relationships with customers and colleagues.
- Supervise and train entry level catastrophe modelers/assistants.
- Maintain expertise of model workings, differences, functional capabilities and changes. Keep management updated on current technical and industry trends related to the catastrophe modeling.
Experience with predictive modeling, advanced analytics, catastrophe modeling, or related data science field is preferred.
- Experience with one or more Data Analytics and Visualization tools, such as Alteryx,, Oracle, , Power BI, Tableau, Microsoft Office suite etc.
- Strong analytic skills with the ability to identify, extract, collect, organize, analyze and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
- Generate standard or custom reports and dashboards summarizing business, geographic, financial, or economic data for review by executives, team members, and clients
- Adapts statistical and machine learning methods to solve specific, real-world problems
- Fluency using statistical tools (R, Python, SQL, RapidMiner/KNIME, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets
- Experience with advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications
Job Posting: 03/17/2020