We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world.
Designs and develops computer programs and monitors the work of junior staff to ensure accuracy of program logic and efficient use of computer resources; performs preliminary evaluation of packaged software; conducts system studies, analyzes and evaluates existing manual and computerized systems / procedures to improve efficiency, develops techniques for automating processes as appropriate; conducts Rough Order of Magnitude on application enhancements; determines the need for system security, backup/recovery, data conversion, etc. and makes recommendations; manages system development projects and supports the implementation activities and training, as required; works with business and responds to Production Support issues as necessary.
Essential Job Functions
▪ Demonstrates understanding of customer needs by interpreting customer needs into viable solutions, providing input into system design.
▪ Effectively writes and refines user stories, including clear and accurate acceptance criteria.
▪ Partners with the Product Owner to confirm code and acceptance tests reflect the desired functionality.
▪ Performs broad and detailed impact assessments relating people, processes and/or technology, and estimates user stories using relative sizing of story points.
▪ Supports implementation activities, troubleshooting user/system environmental issues, and training as required.
▪ Effectively supports business in building a Lean Business Case and breaking epics into features.
▪ Identifies and raises issues and risks with functional design.
▪ Codes instructions for computer programs/objects/components; configures packaged software; tests and implements all changes to ensure they meet specifications.
▪ Documents and implements programs according to installation standards and conventions.
▪ Quality checks program code, related objects and documentation.
▪ Responds to Production Support issues.
▪ Analyzes programs to ensure that they efficiently use computer and storage resources; recommends appropriate changes as necessary.
▪ Conducts preliminary estimates / Rough Order of Magnitude for the level of effort of new/change to application functionality.
▪ Analyzes and makes recommendations for the need for system backup, security, restart/recovery, balancing & controls; recommends approaches for meeting such needs.
▪ Analyzes and documents the requirements and approaches to data conversion and data modeling.
▪ Conducts system studies, analyzes existing computerized and manual processes to improve efficiency; researches and develops techniques for automation, as approved.
▪ Monitors the work of junior staff to ensure efficiency, and compliance with specification.
▪ Designs and develops documentation of proposed procedures and systems.
▪ Performs preliminary evaluation of packaged software. Manages and controls system development projects.
▪ Supports implementation/training activities; troubleshoots system environmental issues, as required.
Special Skill Requirement
▪ Excellent working experience on mainframe applications such as DB2/CICS/COBOL and JCL/ Easytrieve
▪ Prior working experience in analysis/development of Personal Lines Policy processing systems.
▪ Experience in leading the team of developers including resources working in remote locations
▪ Experience in query optimization and performance tuning, Stored Proc, MS Access and MS PowerPoint
Sits or stands for extended periods of time, up to a full work shift.
Occasionally reaches overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
Occasionally moves, lifts, carries, and places objects and supplies weighing 0-10 pounds without assistance.
Listens to, interprets, and differentiates auditory information (e.g. others speaking) at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Visually verifies and reads information.
Visually locates material, resources and other objects.
Ability to operate a computer for extended periods of time, up to a full work shift. Physical dexterity sufficient to use hands, arms, and shoulders repetitively to operate keyboard and other office equipment up to a full work shift.
This position operates in an open office working environment which will include normal and customary distractions, noise, and interruptions.
Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience is required. SAFe Agilest Certification is preferred.
Experience Requirements 10 years as mainframe Developer/ Analyst experience is required.
Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.
Job Posting: 03/26/2020