Want to learn more about our culture & opportunities? Check out farmers.com/careers and be sure to follow us on Instagram and LinkedIn!
Identify and pursue strategic opportunities that enable Farmers to grow profitably, continuously meet or exceed customer expectations and stay ahead of competitors and potential disruptors. This position will be responsible for generating leads and is a critical position to meet our enterprise growth strategy.
Anticipate societal shifts and underlying drivers of market change. Get consensus around specific topics or challenges Farmers needs to solve and then map markets, conduct research, attend events, discover and engage with business and technology start-ups, investors and academics. Cultivate partnerships across all enterprise companies (Farmers, Foremost, Bristol, Brokerage, Life)that align with Farmers strategy. Shape a well-informed vision to executive leadership for how such relationships will transform Farmers. Work closely with business and IT leads to select partners and develop business plans, and support the seamless transition to execution teams.
- Inform and challenge the business around current trends in consumer expectations and new developments in products, business models, operating models and technology.
- Get alignment and prioritization of what problems Farmers is trying to solve
- Scout emerging businesses and technologies that align with priorities. Cultivate relationships.
- Define criteria to assess the strengths and weaknesses of potential partners.
- Develop proposal to recommend partnerships or other commercial relationships to executive leadership
- Initial projects may relate to:
- Connected car / property
- Advanced underwriting capabilities
- Value-added (non-insurance) services
- New types of insurance (e.g., lifestyle, on-demand)
- Emerging risks (e.g., cannabis industry)
- Technology to support any of the above
- Cultivating Direct to Consumer capabilities across enterprise
- Deliver growth opportunities with existing relationships
- Influence Product and Underwriting SLT for growth and strategy integration
- Explore for the Future - find new opportunities as exec sponsor for test and learn
- Medium to High travel:
- Industry Functions/conferences.
- Visit / establish partnership relationships
- Agent visits
- Trips to Farmers campuses monthly
- Four year degree required
- Advanced degree preferred
- 10+ years’ experience in the industry or a similar role
- In depth knowledge of the insurance industry, emerging technologies, knowledge of regulations, external markets, as well as experience with complex industry projects.
- Proven track record of relationship management with senior executives
- Ability to work in uncharted areas, deal with ambiguity, learn from failure
- Understanding of distribution channel management
- Presentation excellence – written/verbal
- Entrepreneurial mind-set and spirit
- A high level of individual drive and ambition and an ability to build long term relationships
- Superior research and analytical skills to track and predict trends as well as financial analysis of cost benefit of opportunities
- Ability to foster an innovative culture, encourage strategic thinking, promote learning and short-termism avoidance
- Customer-driven focus
- Ability to engage at all levels of the activities adopting a ‘hands on’ approach when appropriate.
- Ability to collaborate with executives, creative teams, research and development, and product development teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to persuasively sell ideas
- Openness to change and flexibility. Must be willing to take calculated risks and manage expectations of both internal development teams and potential and existing customers
- Fast thinker / innovative / creative
- Aptitude for contract negotiations
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
Job Posting: 03/27/2020
Other Locations: United States, California, Woodland Hills