We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world.
Want to learn more about our culture & opportunities? Check out farmers.com/careers and be sure to follow us on Instagram and LinkedIn!
The Claims Coverage Attorney is responsible for providing ethical, objective and timely legal advice to Claims clients in all Lines of Business (LOB) on coverage matters nationwide. Handles coverage matters of moderate to high complexity and/or financial consequence. Provides legal support to Suits Against the Exchanges (SAE). Develops networks and relationships with LOBs across the organization and works with Claims management to provide expert legal advice on risk exposure, policy interpretation, claims strategy, and claims handling protocols. Renders advice to, and consults with, non-Claims departments including Underwriting, Compliance, Corporate Legal, and Customer Relations. Participates and provides support and legal assistance for the policy drafting committees regarding new policies, endorsements and modifications. Works with Farmers University and the LOBs to develop and deliver training and presentations. Participates in roundtable meetings with Claims management and team members.
We are seeking candidates with personal lines auto or homeowner's liability experience!
Essential Job Functions
- Analyze complex insurance contracts in all policy forms, including but not limited to CGL, BOP, BAP, CAP, D&O, Property, Workers’ Compensation, Professional E&O, Inland Marine, Truckers, Umbrella and all Personal Lines policies.
- Conduct extensive and detailed research on how the laws of all fifty states affect the construction and interpretation of those policies.
- Apply policy terms to non-routine, complex claims that can involve multiple parties, multi-million dollar exposures, novel issues and ambiguous or non-existent legal precedent.
- Identify and protect against claims of bad faith with the potential to expose the company to multi-million dollar extra-contractual and punitive damage awards.
- Provide comprehensive written opinions and strategic guidance to business leaders and senior executives.
- Collaborates with and conducts peer reviews of colleagues work products to ensure quality and consistency.
- Work with senior management to address customer complaints. Partner with the LOBs to develop litigation strategy.
- Attend and participate in roundtable meetings with Claims executives on matters involving high complexity and/or financial exposure.
- Develop relationships and network with clients and business partners.
- Collaborate with, and monitor the work of, outside counsel to ensure quality and consistency.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree required and law school degree required (J.D.) from an ABA or SBA accredited law school as well as member in good standing of a State Bar.
Minimum of four years (eight years preferred) as an attorney handling matters involving insurance policies, coverage disputes and litigation. Excellent written, oral and presentation communications skills. Highly collaborative working style with demonstrated commitments to meeting individual and team goals. Strong customer service skills, the ability to collaborate with internal clients and panel counsel to identify and implement solutions to complex business and legal challenges. Required job duties are essentially sedentary work consisting of occasional walking, standing and lifting and/or carrying 25 lbs. maximum, bending, talking, hearing, driving, seeing, speaking and traveling.
Special Skill Requirement
Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.
Job Posting: 04/24/2020